Monday, January 28, 2013

Shadow Woman by Linda Howard

Lizette Henry wakes up one morning and makes a terrifying discovery: She doesn’t recognize the face she sees in the mirror. She remembers what she looks like, but her reflection is someone else’s. To add to the shock, two years seem to have disappeared from her life. Someone has gone to great and inexplicable lengths to keep those missing years hidden forever. But the past always finds a way to return.

Strange memories soon begin to surface and, along with them, some unusual skills and talents that Lizette hasn’t a clue about acquiring. Sensing that she’s being monitored, Lizette suddenly knows how to search for bugs in her house and tracking devices in her car. What’s more, she can elude surveillance—like a trained agent.

Enter a mysterious and seductive stranger named Xavier, who claims he wants to help—but who triggers disturbing images of an unspeakable crime of which Lizette may or may not be the perpetrator. With memories returning, she suddenly becomes a target of anonymous assassins. On the run with nowhere to hide, Lizette has no choice but to rely on Xavier, a strong and magnetic man she doesn’t trust, with a powerful attraction she cannot resist. As murky waters become clear, Lizette confronts a conspiracy that is treacherous and far-reaching and a truth that, once revealed, may silence her and Xavier once and for all.


4/5 stars

This was a book that was fast paced and had me trying to figure out what I'd do in Lizzy/Lizette's place and honestly, I have no idea...probably would've ended up dead within one day. Just the thought of waking up to not being able to recognize myself would definitely put me in a mental hospital. Lizzy took it a lot better then I would've when she found out she had been under surveillance for all those years. I also think she gave it up to Xavier a little too fast for not really remembering him and thinking he was out to kill her, but whatever gets you off I guess. I really liked how alpha Xavier was and didn't really feel remorse for what had to be done. Too often in books it seems that these kind of guys are portrayed as if it's a bad thing to do what needs to be done. All in all, this book was a really good fast paced ride that I'm glad I've read and have already recommended it to a couple friends and will tell a few more I'm sure. I love Linda Howard and can't wait to read more in the near future

No comments: