Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Demoness of Waking Dreams by Stephanie Chong


Even ANGELS can be tough... Ex-cop Brendan Clarkson is an angel with an edge. His tough exterior is the perfect camouflage for his job-hunting down the most dangerous criminals on earth. Brendan's a self-reliant and demanding lone wolf, constantly on the brink of clashing with his superiors at the Company of Angels. Brendan is the perfect angel to track and capture demoness Luciana Rossetti. Luciana's cool, green-eyed beauty masks her true nature: inside, she's a dangerous and malevolent killer. Yet, she sees what most people don't-that beneath the layers of Brendan's rugged shell beats the heart of a passionate lover. They are perfectly matched. Yin and yang. Angel and demon. Man and woman. But only one of them can win the battle of wills, of strength and of desire.





4/5 stars

I started reading this book and quickly realized that this was book 2 of a series (if you've ever read any of my reviews you know I do this quite often). So, to get the full effect of the story I put this one down and downloaded the first book, Where Demons Fear to Tread, and read it and I'm very happy I did. I got more of a sense of how deliciously wicked Luciana Rossetti really is. And in the first book she is an evil bitch, there's really no other way to say it. I wasn't sure I was going to like this book but then in walks Brendan Clarkson, an angel who is definitely a little rougher then the rest with his bad-boy attitude and all those yummy tattoos. The two MCs certainly made a great match both being able to see something in each other that no one else could. I also liked the location of this book, Venice, and felt the descriptions of that city were pretty good. I've never been to Venice, but I could actually see what she was writing about.

The one thing I didn't like about this book was the way it ended. I understand it was done that way to set-up the next book in the series, but I felt as if I was just left hanging for the next 6-12 months (or however long it takes for the book to be published). I can't think of a way to write about the ending without giving spoilers so I'll just say that I like for one story to be finished before I read the next, because I read so many books that unless the book is outstanding I tend to forget details between one book and the next. That being said I would still recommend this book to anyone wanting a change in the normal paranormal romance genre.

No comments: